Friday, March 16, 2007




















Knives ov Resistance
Prisca Sapientia
Aurora Borealis 2007

01. Rosicrucian
02. Søvnig
03. Outremer

This pan-European group of tape manipulators and guitar explorers have delivered something peculiarly beautiful to Aurora Borealis: an industrial folk album that harks back to the playful, pastoral era of Cosmic Couriers as well as the more recent Jewelled Antler Collective discography. Opener 'Rosicrucian' swells with spiral-picked melodies and thin electronic tides, evoking the serene cosmic folk of Witthuser and Westrupp. Elsewhere, the synth pulses and samples of 'Søvnig' shimmer amid the heat-haze of interlocked guitar mantras, grazing and unhurried. Knives ov Resistance's gentle methods are more akin to long-lost troubadours such as Tom Rapp than Boards of Canada; the mournful closing track 'Outremer' roars with operatic vocal cries and radio dispatches, the tendril-guitars diffused and murmuring.
-Rock-a-Rolla

>> gsize (81mb) (d-_-b)
>> love it, buy it (Conspiracy)

VERY WELL DONE indeed - a different touch from usual droney/electronic psychedelia. What surprise me most are the hip-hop/cut-up tape techniques they blended in the mix, especially that last track. Hands down, experimental music of the highest order, upright and inventive - an early candidate for debut ov the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Cookshop!

I found your blog a couple of days ago and want to say thank you for all this beautiful stuff! I would never have an opportunity to hear a lot of these great albums. I thank you for James Blackshaw, Guapo (I've looking for this EP for ages!), Mike Tamburo and The grey field recordings(Too scary!). I wish you all the best, keep up the nice work. I'll certainly stop by in the future too. And one thing - I actually really enjoy your commentaries to the albums! Ok, enough flattering for today.... Bye!

doru649 said...

thanks for your comment. there's alot more to find if you're into acoustics - hopefully not all of the older links are dead :) take your time.