Sunshine Has Blown
Musicyourmindwillloveyou 2006
01. Governor's House Brisbane 25th November 05
02. Mormon Gibbon Brisbane 19th Feb 06
03. Muji Judith Wright Centre Brisbane 19th December 05
04. Governor's House Brisbane 25th November 05
Okay, here's the review that sold me on the fucker...
SHB is an initiative led by Joel Stern along with Adam Park. The latter supplies the almost omnipresent tape manipulation while Stern divides time between electronics, guitar, trumpet, violin, mbira and other objects. The four performances are from live events in late 2005 and early 2006 during which they were occasionally joined by Velvet Pesu (cello, mbira, percussion), Joe Musgrave (turntable, voice, objects) and Scott Sinclair (drums, voice, pc). They're rather unique, (...) engaging, awkward, troubling and thought-provoking.
I must admit being quite surprised, as there is really little/nothing of my knowing to compare this with. Sounds from altered states: slow, morphing, enveloping, reaching deep to the subconscious mind. Seems like each moment "something happens", but you only get it when you aren't thinking, totally immersed and everything... Probably goes best enjoyed with big joints or just Sunday morning hangovers; strictly for the serious, patient listeners on here, craving some sonic luxury to soak in (yeah, I love you too). Having said that, it would be nice to get few tips if any 'similar' accounts...
>> mihd (109mb)SHB is an initiative led by Joel Stern along with Adam Park. The latter supplies the almost omnipresent tape manipulation while Stern divides time between electronics, guitar, trumpet, violin, mbira and other objects. The four performances are from live events in late 2005 and early 2006 during which they were occasionally joined by Velvet Pesu (cello, mbira, percussion), Joe Musgrave (turntable, voice, objects) and Scott Sinclair (drums, voice, pc). They're rather unique, (...) engaging, awkward, troubling and thought-provoking.
I must admit being quite surprised, as there is really little/nothing of my knowing to compare this with. Sounds from altered states: slow, morphing, enveloping, reaching deep to the subconscious mind. Seems like each moment "something happens", but you only get it when you aren't thinking, totally immersed and everything... Probably goes best enjoyed with big joints or just Sunday morning hangovers; strictly for the serious, patient listeners on here, craving some sonic luxury to soak in (yeah, I love you too). Having said that, it would be nice to get few tips if any 'similar' accounts...
>> love it, buy it (Half/Theory)

4 comments:
weird and fascinting. thanks for bringing this up from down under. couldn't resist that. sorry.
a suggestion - not exactly the same stuff, but it reminds me of and is also something (i find) very luxurious and hauntingly beautiful: give vladislav delay a listen - especially "anima" and "the four quarters". if needed i can upload them...
cheers, d.k.b.
Testimonial by Mrs Carrie Auburn, Houston (TX), divorced, 2 children
"When I first downloaded Sunshine Has Blown, I thought it was the latest Joanna Newsom that my little Gwennie loves so. After the first two seconds of (shock) mild surprise, I settled comfortably on my red Ikea couch, with a nice cuppa of Twinnings, being pleasantly reminded of my more favourite Pan sonic. After a while, unfortunately,I had to go set up dinner for the twins, so I left it untouched in the hi fi. However, at night, when I couldnt sleep and tossed and turned in my cold bed, I remembered your album and listened to it for hours on end. I found the thumbs piano particularly pleasurable, not only because it reminded me of my honeymoon with Al in Africa, but also because I had attended classes at my local evening school center. That was before my thumbs were burned in that terrible accident. Anyway, thank you from Houston, and may God bless you! "
thanks for your recommendation - haven't made my mind on Vladislav, but hopefully those records will help (already on my hdd).
oh and i've been extremely touched by the confession above - thank you so very much for sharing. it's like, it's like... it's like i have connected with a soul from far away and overseas and and i can't hold my emotions very well!!
Post a Comment