Éric Cordier
Breizhiselad
Erewhon 2006
01. Breizhiselad/Ar Baradoz
02. Lieux de Repos
03. Mes Chaînes Seront Brisées
04. Bro Goz Ma Zadou
05. Vieux Pays de Mes Pères
06. Tu Es le Portier Qui M'ouvre le Château
Here's a real-life story: woke after about 10 hours sleep, had this in headphones, then I slept another 5 hours. Ok, maybe I just needed rest... Next evening I was listening again, waited until it's actually over, and immediately, with no hesitation, crashed in bed. For someone with sleeping disorders, that's quite an experience; but now to think of it, Breizhiselad could easily be mistaken for a drug's name. Let's review the sequence of events: man finds a piece of vinyl in his grandma's attic, dated to 1960 ("re-issue" from an even older edition); Cordier thinks that the music's horrible conceptually though brilliant in execution, so before it crumbles apart, he manages to save some parts on tape, "erasing the sugary, churchy treatment" of the original. Mainly, two choral arrangements sung by Les Chanteurs de la Cathedrale de Saint-Brieuc, which are distorted and processed, with inherent _*_* (skips and pops), plus added field recordings of lord knows what. May not be anyone's idea of a lullaby, but either way, they leave a strong impression: once finished, I don't think you'll wanna switch to other music very soon. Cliché of the day: turning lead into...
>> mihd (104mb) (d-_-b)>> love it, buy it (Mimaroglu)

2 comments:
You had me at "_*_*"!
Seriously, sampling the first ten minutes I already love this, having 'textural synthesasia, the hypnotic transport was immediate. Gonna come back for more comment after spending some good 'lucid' time with this one.
I really like this...many thanks for sharing this. I actually thought I knew Cordier's work pretty well, but this is something...
Post a Comment