A.M.
Orla
Ikuisuus 2006
01. As the Rain Comes Down
02. Sky Voltage (Reeds)
03. Ribscraper
04. Some Dreams Must
05. Chamber Lull
Some time ago someone has told me about a friend who'd bought an organ from the flea market. Unfortunately, he made no music with it as the engine was so badly rusted and refused to work. Here's his revenge then, taken by NZ experimentalist and Pseudo Arcana label boss Antony Milton (A.M.), who acquired the Orla reed organ in a similarly tangential manner... It was mailed (!) to him by a friend and fan, appearing unexpected on the doorstep with a note one day. And you can guess he didn't simply let it gather dust. Actually maybe just a little, 'cause it took about three years to make the Orla 'sing' his way. Without being an expert, I can tell these things make quite some noise, even in good shape - so imagine the endless hours of processing, filtering, cleaning the notes, and whatever else. Aside from a few environmental bits, everything's sourced entirely from the surprise gift. "As the recordings progressed, I stripped away more and more unnecessary components of the machine until on the last track I was bowing and plucking the spring pegs of the keys. One of my favourite sounds was that of the fan motor itself". Uhh, okay... As much as I'd like to say Orla is good to have your wedding to and/or charm your parents, it should of course fit rather in an intimate setting. This is drone, after all. But the good kind that perks your ears up, going from linear growth to real tunnels of depth. Frankly, I've never listened in a very conscious state, and probably for the better, since one of the goals here is to obtain "a stream of sound that may facilitate ecstatic bliss of religious intensity". What do I know anyway? It's good to anyone with reasonable sensitivity.
>> sspace / mfire (60mb)>> love it, buy it (Ikuisuus)
Cue this album up back to back with Tony Conrad's Joan of Arc to really take a journey inside that eternal sound. -Cola Nitida

No comments:
Post a Comment