
Jack Rose
aRCHIVE 2006
01. Levee
02. Revolt
03. St. Louis Blues
04. Miss May's Place
05. Sage Blues
06. Spirits in the House
07. Dark Was the Night
Took up the advice from my Blackshaw post and got a little into Mr. Rose - member of experimental combo Pelt and solo guitar virtuoso. Most of you know or should've heard some talks around him, partially due to all the growing interest in neo-folk, neo-acousticism, neo-primitivism, etc., and of course the constant Fahey references. Well, rest assured that this new disc won't stop them, as modest as daring, and as devoted to the mentor's style. Derived from ragtime, blues, modal folk and Indian ragas, the tracks blend tightly all the aspects of his playing, leading to a maximum sound thickness. Like Fahey's technique, Rose's relies on careful finger-picking, though much more like Blackshaw's, opting for a somewhat different flow and harmony. Nothing too ostentatious or affected, and certainly nothing unnecessary - this is somber and expressive, out of raw emotion. It can be played at almost any time; it fills your ears, your mind - it fills you.
>> axi (55mb)

7 comments:
reminds one of fahey, fosho. nice morning listening...
thee stranded horse is coming out in march, too.
thanks for the tip ;)
is these a non album tracks? like a b-side? or a self release?
really thanks anyway. love it & your blog.
btw, do you have any other jack rose album?
it's an official album. self-titled. there is no use in writing the same thing twice, so i just put a Jack Rose as title. of course, there are lots of his older albums worth listening, but being the only God of this blog, i will decide myself whether to post them or not. in the meantine, treat yourself with some Bishop :)
I'm assuming it was my comment that prompted this post and I get to be the beneficiary as I do not have this particular album and I think it is sold out, as is the Bishop as far as I know. A little different from the other stuff I have by him in places, but still, great playing. Thanks much.
welcome. and you're right, it's all sold out already. as for jack, after this one, it is really interesting where he'll go next.
Post a Comment