Tsukimono
Time Canvas
Kning Disk 2007
01. Blown Away
02. Train Home, Home
03. Cello
04. Growing Like a Cancer Within
05. When I Vibrate It Hard
In Tsukimono's (Johan Gustavsson) own words:
"Time Canvas was a big step in my development as a (solo-)musician. Up until this recording my music as Tsukimono had been steeped in vst-effects & plugins, and I was quickly growing tired of it. I decided to strip my computer of almost everything except a simple sampling/sequencing program and started working on a few new pieces where I zoomed in on a single instrument/soundsource to see what I could get out of it using only raw, untreated samples (save some pitchshifting). During this time I was spending up to 2 hours or more each day commuting between home & school and the breathers I got while on the trains proved a perfect time to work on this new music. To shut out all the everyday noise and stress and to focus solely on these samples/pieces made me feel calm and soothed. Thanks to the people who are 'playing' on the album: Emelie Molin, Kristofer Ström and Erik Levander. Thanks for lending your breath and time."
It's all really rather simple - layers of various instruments (cello, trumpet, clarinet) drifting by, waving, flying above your head. Drone music doesn't usually qualify as "sweet", but maybe this is an exception. Quiet, very soothing, minimal yet active. A welcome change for our young musician - listen at night or early morning. 100 copies.
>> gsize / mfire (79mb) (d-_-b)"Time Canvas was a big step in my development as a (solo-)musician. Up until this recording my music as Tsukimono had been steeped in vst-effects & plugins, and I was quickly growing tired of it. I decided to strip my computer of almost everything except a simple sampling/sequencing program and started working on a few new pieces where I zoomed in on a single instrument/soundsource to see what I could get out of it using only raw, untreated samples (save some pitchshifting). During this time I was spending up to 2 hours or more each day commuting between home & school and the breathers I got while on the trains proved a perfect time to work on this new music. To shut out all the everyday noise and stress and to focus solely on these samples/pieces made me feel calm and soothed. Thanks to the people who are 'playing' on the album: Emelie Molin, Kristofer Ström and Erik Levander. Thanks for lending your breath and time."
It's all really rather simple - layers of various instruments (cello, trumpet, clarinet) drifting by, waving, flying above your head. Drone music doesn't usually qualify as "sweet", but maybe this is an exception. Quiet, very soothing, minimal yet active. A welcome change for our young musician - listen at night or early morning. 100 copies.
>> love it, buy it (Kning Disk)

2 comments:
I remember listening to one of his net label releases few years ago, and it wasn't very impresive. But this sounds interesting... We'll see. Thanks!
wasn't too keen on his previous stuff either.
Post a Comment