Thursday, May 31, 2007




















Jerry Johansson
Next Door Conversation
Kning Disk 2007

01. Next Door Conversation Part I
02. Next Door Conversation Part II


Another live recording, this time from Göteborg's "Konserthuset", where Jerry Johansson premiered his latest composition for sitar, santour, tambura and string quartet (violin, viola, cello). Next Door Conversation is a new extended work, in which ancient Indian traditions of classical raga music assimilate together with the Swedish heritage of folk, and the knowledge/understanding of contemporary classical music. For centuries, Indian ragas have been played as tools for relieving stress, fear, pain (physical and mental), grief, anxieties, loneliness, low self-esteem, and negative thoughts. They oxygenate the cells, extracting the physical and emotional toxins and filling the body with energy.

>> gsize / fsend (121mb)
>> love it, buy it (Kning)

Textures extend, re-shape and change places; in Jerry Johansson's exquisite ways of thinking and blending our ancient musical heritage from both East and West, a totally new and unique music emerges. A music in where traces, remembrances from then and now, Scandinavia and Asia assimilate together to something totally natural that is all Jerry Johansson's. These feelings emerge both in the studies of the score and, of course, most strongest, in experiencing the actual performance of the work. So, Jerry Johansson really composes and performs NEW music in the truest sense of the word; a magical blend of ancient traditions and innovation. -Sasnet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Been a few days off and I see that meanwhile you dropped some excellent stuff! Terracid after the first listen sounds as good or even better than the best of BOTOS. Also the Kemialliset album is their strongest yet (imo, of course!), But the best - Hala Strana! Thanks, I haven't even know that he works on a new album. Big surprise and an excellent album! Being from east Europe his work always does it for me... I hated our folk music as a kid, but hearing and recalling some of these melodies (on the previous records...) is really weird. So thanks for all of these... And I will check out also this Jerry Johansson guy!

doru649 said...

hey, welcome back :)

the Jewelled Antler have made quite a comeback indeed: Softwar, Hala Strana, Kemialliset, Fursaxa, even the Ov album. great year for music we have!

definitely check out Johansson too; this and his previous album (which i've also posted) make just the right dose of Asian music for the summer. ironic, kind of, coming from a Swede..

talking of nationalities, let me guess where you're from: Serbia? Hungary?

Anonymous said...

I'm 50% Slovakian (still considering myself Czecho-Slovakian) and 50% Hungarian. So I cover quite a lot of middle\east European ground:).

Thanks for the Johansson albums, too. Both are beautiful!

Totally unrelated - I have to recommend Sir Richard Bishop's While My Guitar Violently Bleeds. It's fantastic!

doru649 said...

ahh sweet, i'll look for it, liked the "fingering the devil" album :)